10 Daily Routines for Awesome Health
Blogs By Heidi
If you want to experience optimal health and wellbeing every day, winging it is not the best approach. Neither is putting your health at the bottom of the priority list and hoping for the best. Great health isn’t rocket science; it’s actually very simple and straightforward. The problem is, in the desperate attempt to meet the demands of our busy schedules, our wellbeing can take a massive hit. Suddenly, we find ourselves overwhelmed, overworked, overtired and…..sick.
Here are 10 daily routines to keep up your sleeve to ensure you keep your health in tip-top shape:
- Drink 2.5 litres of water daily – even more if it’s hot or you are physically active. Adequate hydration is required for every function of the body, and if you are well hydrated, your urine will run clear.
- Eat 80% of your calories from carbohydrates. Forget about the high-fat, low-carb trend, which will only make you ill in the long run. Fruits, vegetables and wholegrains are the source of fuel your body needs and craves, and serious problems start to pop up when carb intake is reduced.
- Follow a low-fat diet. This is your best chance for preventing and reversing chronic disease. Don’t be that person who guzzles all the bacon and butter and ends up with a health catastrophe.
- Do some light exercise. If you’re stressed, overwhelmed or unwell, lay off the high-intensity exercise. This will only push your body into further adrenal dysfunction and distress. Stick with a light walk around the block or some gentle yoga stretches.
- Eat a palm-sized piece of meat per day, max. Anything more will strip your gut of essential stomach acids and place a burden on your digestive system. Even better, adopt a whole-food, plant-based diet if you want to experience next-level health and wellbeing.
- Knock alcohol on the head during the week. Keep your couple of beers or wines to the weekend and abstain altogether if you can. Alcohol is a neurotoxin, a liver loader and an all-round foe to the human body. Don’t get sucked into those ‘heart healthy’ claims from the alcohol industry – they care about their profits, not your health.
- Address the root cause of stress. Every time that source of background stress pops up, whether its related to relationships, finances, work or something else, stress hormones are released in the body, which then manifest as physical symptoms. Too many stress hormones such as adrenaline will put your body into ‘fight or flight’ mode, and that’s no way to live.
- Know what’s in your food. Educate yourself on what those mysterious numbers and letters on nutritional labels mean. Most of them are nasty, man-made chemicals that will wreak havoc on your health.
- Take good quality supplements. Vitamin B12, liquid zinc sulphate, barley grass powder and spirulina powder are incredible workhorses that will promote fantastic health.
- Follow a good wind-down routine before bed. Have a cup of chamomile tea, switch off electronic devices 30 minutes before bed, have a warm bath with Epsom salts, lie flat with some light-hearted reading, and lights off by 10pm is our formula for great sleep.